Sunday, August 12, 2012

15th Anniversary Getaway -- Ryukyu Mura Shisas

One more thing I wanted to share about Ryukyu Mura----their Shisas!!


Now, in case you missed the past post in which I described what Shisas are all about, I'll explain it... My simplest explanation is Shisas are like Japanese dream catchers, except they "work" in pairs. One Shisa has an open mouth to catch the "evil spirits" and the closed mouth Shisa keeps them trapped. They are placed on pretty much every building from home, to business, to parking garage either on the roof top or by the front door. Occasionally, there will be only one, but if so, hopefully it's mouth is open!!

The following Shisas were some of the more fascinating ones located around the village...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Now this little guy is not a Shisa, but that crazy tree elf, Kijimuna!!
 
 

And one last stop before hitting the road... :)

(Yep, the toilet! ;)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just wanted to say hi and thank you for sharing your Okinawa experiences! I found your blog just by searching for site about Okinawa life. My husband and I will be arriving to Kadena this coming February and we couldn't be more excited!

    I really enjoy reading your blog, and I've been using it as a guide for us when we arrive, and I find myself telling my husband about your posts all the time :)

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it!! We are enjoying our time here (2 years down, 1 to go)! I still have posts to catch up on, as well as items on our bucket list, so do stay tuned!!
      :) Joy

      Delete