Saturday, October 23, 2010

One week....

I have now been a "resident" of Okinawa for one week! Much has happened in this last week, too. I passed my driver's test and just yesterday, I drove for the first time. I didn't leave the parking lot, so don't know that many would actually consider that driving, but it's a start! I only turned on the wipers one time when trying to turn on the turn signal. ;-) We also purchased a Toyota Funcargo. We'll pick it up on Monday and I'll get pictures to post. You can Google it to see how cute it is! (Be prepared to see a page full of Japaneses characters, tho!)
We have finally gotten housing squared away, but unfortunately it ended up being further away from Rodney's work than we were hoping. We'll be housed on Camp Courtney and his work is on MCAS Futenma and Camp Foster. It will be bit of a commute for him only due to all the traffic lights between here and there. But, he's been given some clues as to a couple of short-cuts, so hopefully that will help. One advantage to being on one of the smaller bases could be that we'll get the opportunity to take advantage of the native community off-base more than some people would on the bigger bases. It will be nice to get into our own "home" with our own stuff!!! All of our stuff has arrived and will be delivered to our new 5th floor apartment on Tuesday!!! I'm looking forward to sleeping in my own bed with my own pillow and getting the rest of my clothes!! This one-suitcase wardrobe is getting a little old after two months.... Also, looking forward to getting cable hooked up to have more than one English channel to watch!!
We'll be off-line for about a week after we move in, tho, because they can't get our internet connection hooked up until November 4!! That kinda stinks, but what are you gonna do.... I'm hoping that will give me time to focus on getting the house together and set up to be able to post pictures soon after that! I'll try to get one more post in before our move, but if not, I'll have plenty to tell you about then!!

No comments:

Post a Comment