Sunday, October 17, 2010

Konichiwa!!

Greetings from Okinawa, Japan!!! I have now been here about 48 hours..... Truman and I had an uneventful but LONG journey. Truman would probably tell you differently having been cooped up in his carrier all that time, but he did live to tell the tale :)
We had a nice little welcoming committee waiting for us--a few of the Chaplains and wives, plus, of course, Rodney! The Command Chaplain's wife brought me a basket of goodies from the Chaplain Spouses Group and the wife of the outgoing Chaplain brought me a little bag of Okinawa goodies. I'll be getting pictures and post them soon.
Right now we are once again in temporary housing, but instead of a hotel room as I was expecting, we have a 3 bedroom apartment! It's nice to have the space and to be under the same roof as Rodney once again. Truman and I are trying to get our days and nights adjusted, not to mention just trying to catch up on sleep from the trip.
Rodney's gotten me out the last couple of days for a bit, so I've already seen his office, been on three different bases and to a couple of different commissaries and exchanges.
If all goes well, with the XO's help, we'll have the housing issue sorted out this week!! Looks like I'll be taking my written driving test on Tuesday. Still not sure I'm ready to be driving on the LEFT side of the road!! If I have an automatic, that will sure make it easier. It also helps that the highest speed is about 50-60km (about 30-40mph).  But, here's the pressure--Americans are viewed as "professional" drivers. So, if you're in an accident, doesn't matter who is truly at fault, its your fault since you, the American, are the professional driver!!!
Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers during this long transition! I'll let you know as housing develops and if I qualify as a "professional" driver!!
Ja mata nee!
(Jah mah-tah nay)
Later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment