Saturday, April 10, 2010

My Grandpa


November, 2007 ~ The first of November, we received a call that my Grandpa had been hospitalized following a routine doctor appointment. He was jaundiced, so they wanted to run some tests. Turned out he had liver cancer. I spoke with him each day over the phone and had some wonderful conversations with him. It was so hard to know what to do. I went back and forth about flying home. But, following a phone call from one of my cousins, I caught a flight back home on Sunday, the 11th. My Grandma and a couple of my cousins had been spending the night with Grandpa at the hospital, so I got to stay there, too. Grandpa was still pretty alert when I arrived and I was able to have a couple of sweet conversations with him. Then Tuesday morning, we were at his bedside when he drew his last breath. Such a bittersweet experience.....
Following the services a few days later, I had the honor and priviledge to stay a few days with Grandma, just her and me, back at their house. That is a time and memory I will always cherish.

Here are a few pictures I'd like to share in memory of my Grandpa......
My first Christmas. I was 10 months old....
They were in town for my college graduation, Dec. 1995
At Elephant Rock, summer 1991
At Dillard Mill, May 1994
I love and miss you, Grandpa!!

No comments:

Post a Comment