Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Substitute Teaching

While Rodney was going to the ship every day, I took the opportunity to take my time getting boxes unpacked and things settled around the house. Then I pursued getting my paperwork together to see what I could do about a teaching job. Having an out-of-state teaching certificate, I was able to automatically get a one-year CA credential. I went ahead and took the state test and received my full credential. After applying to the local district of over 40 elementary schools and realizing they were in dire need of subs, I decided to try that for a bit. That would give me a chance to experience different schools and find one that would be a good fit for me. That has been the best experience! I don't really miss lesson plans, grade cards, faculty meetings, parent conferences, etc., but there are times I do miss having my own classroom and my own group of students.



The flexibility of subbing has been worth its weight in gold........ Christmas of 2006, R was deployed, so I was able to go back to MO for almost a month; then March, 2007, I was able to go see him in Singapore for a week (pics in another post)!! When Grandpa got sick, November 2007, I was able to be there, then stay with Grandma for a few days after he passed away.



Those are big advantages to subbing, but the smaller day-to-day advantages are if R has a day off, we can spend time together and, I do have to admit, its kind of nice to be able to do lunch with friends once in awhile on a week day! It still keeps me pretty much as busy as I want to be and at that time gave me something to do since he was gone a lot with the ship while they were preparing to deploy.......

No comments:

Post a Comment